Failing to take part in the Distinguished Gentleman's Drive

 

TL;DR: Sub-optimal

The highlight of that week-end was supposed to be our 3rd participation to the Distinguished Gentleman's Drive, but there would be none of that.

I woke up early and began the day by removing the seats to get on with the polishing of the tunnel. It's bare aluminium, battered and scratched. That's not a bad thing, but it would look better if it was shiny.

As I was using acetone to remove a perished sticker that must have shown the gear grid at some point, I also took a few cotton swabs to remove the red pigment that was applied on the dashboard rivets earlier this year. That rejuvenation with some leather creme looked good initially, but it didn't last. At least now the rivets don't look like they were painted red anymore. 

With the tunnel clear from glue residue, it was time for Belgom Alu again. This time I followed D3Sshooter who uses paper towel for the polishing, saving the cotton wool for the buffing only (I was getting short on cotton, that 200g pack lasted 16 years...)

We didn't overdo the deep end of the footwells, with a smooth gradient that won't be noticed.

The seats and red side panels were cleaned too.

As we were getting ready for a Distinguished and classy event, I washed the glass fiber elements, gave them a quick polishing followed by two layers of carnauba wax. The black is shiny and deep, very good looking overall.

With noon approaching, I jokingly told the missus to see if she can get it running, as she was to drive solo the whole afternoon while I would be at the "Cars and Coffee" side-event.

She couldn't get it running. Me neither.

The fuel pump didn't stop clicking, the sound of it struggling to reach pressure. I popped the hood and saw the transparent fuel filter get drained with the car struggling to idle; then starve.

With no other idea, I bypassed the pressure regulator by placing the (brand new) fuel filter instead. The pump was still clicking but less-so, the fuel filter not filling but the engine could run.

I called the DGD team to say we wouldn't make it; and House of Speed to ask how to tow the Seven if it had to come to that (by a front lower wishbone). Clamshell wings don't make the nosecone DZUS fastener easily operated, but the super compact ratchet with a wide bit worked a treat. 

We took a well-needed shower after all that morning polishing, got a quick lunch, and left for House of Speed, not going on the highway at any cost with a car expected to be towed at any moment.

I was driving the Seven while the missus was following me with the Skoda Octavia, in which we always carry a tow-rope, jump start cables, and a compact air compressor.

In the end I was able to drive the whole way there.

There was some hint of burnt rubber, after the generator belt squeaked for a while and has gone silent...

I just stopped once to try different ignition maps : the original 'Kent' just didn't work, but the first curve I had originally programmed was a treat, with a very stable idle and a way better low-end, still able to scream and give all it might in the high-RPMs. The "upgrade" I tried the day before with a less-aggressive map was not suited to the Cosworth A2 camshaft. All of that not being related to the fuel pump issue at all.

At some point in the afternoon, I started the car for a group of friends, the fuel pump reached pressure and kept silent, as it's supposed to do....

When I drove it to the workshop later on, it kept clicking again... It was looked into first thing after the week-end. The regulator was probably toast, and was removed for good. Its feed hose wasn't in great condition and was shortened by a few centimeters.

I was told the Facet cube pump was new (fitted 4 years ago, with little driving since) and is the correct low-pressure model for Weber carburators.

Back home, it behaves as it used to : it clicks for only a few seconds then gets silent at working pressure.

But the battery isn't charging anymore, I guess I need to adjust or replace the belt. Oh, joy.


Comments

🔥 Most Visited

The Origin Story

Caterham 170 vs Lotus Seven

Alfin-style Rear Brake Drums

Hello World

"Ribbed" Minilite Wheels